No, mold occurs due to a source of moisture in a living environment.
According to the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the term “toxic mold” is not correct. While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce poisons (called mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous.
You do not need to test your mold to find out if it is “toxic mold”- just clean it up like you would any other kind of mold. Ways to prevent mold from growing:
- Use a vent fan on your stove when cooking.
- Turn on the vent fan in your bathroom when bathing.
- Use a dehumidifier.
For more cleaning and prevention information visit: www.michigan.gov/mold