A vacancy will be created in the office of City Clerk effective April 2, 2022. The vacancy results from the resignation of the current City Clerk. The Walker City Commission seeks applications from qualified electors of the City of Walker to fulfill this vacancy. The City Commission will select a candidate to fulfill the role of City Clerk through the November 8, 2022, election date. In addition, applicants and interested electors will need to run for the remainder of the Clerk’s vacant term (November 2022 – November 2024). Filing deadline for interested candidates is April 19, 2022, by 4:00 pm. Candidate packets are available in the City Clerk’s Office.
Roles and Duties of the City Clerk
The City Clerk is an elected officer of the City and is elected every four years. The Clerk performs statutory duties as required by City Charter which includes facilitating records of the City Commission, managing and preserving the official records of the City, serving as Chief Elections Officer, and ensuring licenses governed under city ordinance are issued accordingly. A City Clerk must be willing to effectively engage with residents, carry out duties and responsibilities in accordance with Federal/State/local laws, and interact with numerous organizations, boards, committees, and city staff.
The City Clerk is expected to hold office hours in order to effectively carry out the responsibilities of the position as outlined in the City Charter. The Clerk is expected to attend all City Commission meetings to record minutes of the proceedings, unless represented by the Deputy City Clerk. Per the Walker Charter, the Commission must hold two regular meetings per month (the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month). The Commission also regularly schedules a Commission Work Session on the 3rd Monday of each month. In addition, the Clerk attends city standing committees as necessary to record minutes of the proceedings.
Elected official salaries are set by the Local Officer’s Compensation Commission, which meets in every odd year. The City Clerk has a current annual salary of $72,924.
Applications will be received, and the appointment made in the following manner:
- To be eligible for appointment, you must be a registered voter in the City of Walker, and a City of Walker resident for at least one year.
- Applicants must submit a letter of interest and a resume to: City of Walker Human Resources, 4243 Remembrance Road, NW, Walker, Michigan 49534.
- Applications must be received by April 13, 2022, by 4:00 pm.
- The Mayor and the Commission will review all applications to ensure that applicants meet the minimum requirements for the appointment.
- Interviews will be conducted the week of April 18, 2022.
- Appointment will be made at a subsequent City Commission Meeting.
Shannon Bales, HR Director