Title: Paid on Call Fire Fighter
Reports to: Fire Chief, Battalion Chief, Station Officers
Broad Statement of Responsibilities: Responds to and assists the Fire Department in providing fire and rescue services to residents of the City of Walker.
Requirements to be eligible to apply to be a Walker Fire Department Paid on Call Firefighter:
1. Be a resident of the City of Walker or if living outside the Walker City limits, must be within three driven miles of the nearest Walker Fire Station. Our Fire Stations are located at:
4343 Remembrance Rd, 4101 Lake Michigan Dr, 1470- 3 Mile Rd
2. Minimum of 18 years old and possess a high school diploma or equivalent
3. Valid Michigan Driver's license with no restrictions, including a good driving record
4. No criminal record
5. Available to attend a minimum two (2) training sessions per month and one (1) Sunday morning duty per month
from 9:00 am – 12:00 Noon
6. Preference will be given to applicants that are available to respond to calls during the day
- Application packets should be submitted to the Human Resources Department.
- New Recruit applications are reviewed yearly by the Fire Department management team in early summer in preparation for the mandatory training sessions that begin in October. Applications submitted by currently certified firefighters are reviewed regularly and processed separately from new recruits.
- Invitation is then extended to selected applicants to attend a mandatory orientation; which spouses are encouraged to attend.
The City of Walker Fire Department will provide recruits with all necessary training and personal protective equipment. During a new recruit's provisional period of employment (the first year), they can expect monthly performance reviews and skills checks.
If you would like to assist your community, submit an application packet as directed in the job posting on the Employment Opportunities page. If you have any questions regarding the responsibilities of this position, please contact the Fire Department Office at 791-6840.
For more information regarding pay and benefits, click here.