A vacancy will be created in one of the two 3rd Ward Commission seats, effective April 24, 2019. The vacancy results from 3rd Ward Commissioner Sandra Howland’s resignation to the City.
Roles and Duties of a City Commissioner:
The City Commission is the legislative body of City government. The City Commission determines the policies, directions and levels of service in the City of Walker. The Commission’s main responsibility is to determine how best to meet the numerous needs and demands for public services throughout the City while complying with state, federal and local laws. A Commissioner must be willing to effectively engage with residents, attend special meetings and events, and interact with numerous organizations, boards, committees and city staff.
At the minimum, a City Commissioner is expected to attend all City Commission meetings, unless excused by the Commission. Per the Walker Charter, the Commission must hold two regular meetings per month (the 2nd and 4th Monday’s of each month). The Commission also regularly schedules a Commission Work Session on the 3rd Monday of each month. In addition, the Commissioner will be appointed by the Mayor to serve on one or more city standing committees as well as one or more City advisory committees. (These meetings are scheduled on an as needed basis).
Elected official’s salaries are set by the Local Officer’s Compensation Commission, which meets in every odd year. The current yearly Commissioner salary is $5,739.00. In addition, Commissioner’s receive $15.00 per meeting attended as set by the City’s Charter.
Applications will be received, and the appointment made in the following manner:
- To be eligible for appointment, you must be a registered voter in the 3rd Ward of the City of Walker, a City of Walker resident for at least one year and have no debts to the city.
- Applicants must submit a letter of interest and professional resume to: Sarah Bydalek, Walker City Clerk, 4243 Remembrance Road, N.W., Walker, Michigan 49534.
- Applications must be received in the City Clerk's office by 4:00 pm on Wednesday, May 1, 2019.
- The City Clerk will review and submit the applications to the Mayor and City Commission. The interviews will then be scheduled with individual time notification provided on Thursday, May 2, 2019.
- Interviews will be held on Monday, May 6, 2019 starting at 4:00 pm.
- Appointment is expected to be made at the May 13 or May 27, 2019, City Commission Meeting.
or phone at (616) 791-6865
Here is a link to the Walker Ward Map. Please note that Ward 3 is highlighted in shades of blue.