Site Development

Please select the link on the left for the post site plan approval checklist.

Inspection Escrow Deposits

The Developer shall cause his engineer to prepare an estimate of the cost of public utilities and public road construction.  The Developer shall then deposit inspection fees with Walker equal to 15% of the sanitary sewer and watermain construction to cover work noted in paragraph 5 of the standard three party construction agreement (7% for Grand Rapids administration and 8% for Walker field inspection).  Additionally, the Developer shall deposit 8% of the road improvement cost with Walker to allow for field inspection, street light installation and any unexpected costs associated with acceptance of the new roadway as public. 

The escrow deposit must be submitted along with the engineers estimate (with P.E. seal affixed) prior to Walker releasing the signed mylar cover sheet and three party construction agreements 

Upon completion of the project and computation of the final costs of said work, any unexpended amount will be returned to the Developer or should the cost be greater than the amount deposited, the Developer will reimburse Walker for the additional costs.  This language will be specifically addressed in the agreement. 

Public Road / Utility Construction Policy

The City’s policy on the construction of future public improvements is as follows:

Any development that contains public roads or utilities must have a minimum level of city involvement in order to be handed over to the City upon completion. Upon receiving planning commission approval of a plat, site condominium, planned unit development, etc, the developer shall provide the City Engineer with plan and profile drawings (3 sets) of all proposed public improvements. These plans shall be 1" = 40’ scale (profile view 1" = 10’) drawings with all the necessary detail for bidding and construction. The City Engineer shall have 3 weeks to review the drawings and provide a check print to the developer. The developer shall resubmit the revised drawings along with the check prints for final approval. A mylar copy of the cover sheet should also be provided for signature by the City Engineer.

Prior to the Walker City Engineer signing the plans, the developer shall provide a cost estimate (stamped by a professional engineer) and inspection deposit to cover the cost of inspection and construction administration. The calculation for the deposit shall be based on Inspection Escrow Deposit policy and formula (roughly equivalent to 15% of the sanitary and water cost plus 8% of the improvements and drainage estimate). If the project is privately funded, the developer may bid the project privately. The developer and his contractor will schedule a preconstruction meeting prior to beginning work on the public improvements. At this meeting the City Engineer will direct Walker’s inspection / consulting staff to oversee all phases of the project construction through completion. This includes working with Grand Rapids on the approval of sanitary sewer and watermain. Walker staff or consultants will submit all construction documentation to Grand Rapids in an effort to bring these utilities into service.

The developer will be responsible for providing a construction engineer on the project to answer routine questions from the contractor and communicate with Walker’s inspection staff. Any changes to the plans, however, must be reviewed and approved with the City Engineer. Any change or modification should be proposed by the developers engineer and formally submitted with 3 sets of plans.

The City shall use the inspection escrow deposit for the following:

  • Consultant inspection services

  • Consultant construction engineering/administration

  • City of Grand Rapids construction engineering/administration

  • Consumers Energy street light installation (if applicable)

  • Any independent geotechnical investigation required by the City Engineer

If off site improvements are required for a development the City may wish to take on the design and bidding requirements. This would include off site sewer or watermain greater than 600’ in length, any sanitary sewer or watermain that is considered a trunk utility (sized to handle additional flow), offsite road work that is greater than 100’ in length or requires special assessments, or reconstruction of any existing public infrastructure. In these cases, the City Engineer shall cause a cost estimate to be prepared for the public work. This funding for this work, including reasonable contingencies, should be incorporated into the development agreement and placed in escrow with the City of Walker prior to executing the agreement.

For purposes of this policy, offsite improvements shall be defined as extending any infrastructure outside of the property boundary for the project. Any perpendicular connections to roadways, sewers, or watermain will not be considered off site improvements.

Requirements for Plat Construction

Preliminary layout (part of Tentative Prelim. Plat Review)

Final preliminary layout (part of Final Prelim. Plat Review)

Construction plan or plan and profile review (all utilities and improvements)

Confirm changes and review mylars for City Engineer signature

Developer should submit inspection deposit to the City Engineer. Deposit shall be 15% of sanitary and water cost plus 8% of the road improvements & drainage. Deposit shall be accompanied by an engineer’s estimate sealed by a P.E.

Review of construction agreement and constructions plans will require 3 weeks for initial review. One week notice is required for final signatures prior to submitting to Grand Rapids.

A pre-construction meeting is to be scheduled by the developer ( in coordination with the City Engineer) no earlier that the day following Grand Rapids approval of the utilities. The developer shall provide one weeks notice to all attendees and provide current plans for review prior to the meeting. All pre-construction meetings are to be held at the City of Walker offices. The developer shall be responsible for inviting Moore & Bruggink (Chief Inspector Roy Laisure) who will inspect the public utilities on behalf of the Walker Engineering Department. If M & B designed the development or if the developer has a relationship with M&B, then Progressive AE will inspect on behalf of Walker.

Application for soil erosion and stormwater permits may be granted upon Planning Commission approval of the final preliminary plat (or final area site plan in the case of a site condo). Only surface work and construction of detention ponds will be allowed prior to the pre-construction meeting.

During construction the contractor/developer shall make contact each day with the designated inspector on the project. If there is a period of inactivity on the project, the inspector will require 24 hour notice before returning to the site to oversee any utility installation or public roadway construction. Absolutely no paving shall take place without first obtaining approval from the inspector and the City of Walker. The roadway base must be approved and the weather conditions must be reviewed prior to the installation of bituminous. The city will not approve any road surface that is not thoroughly inspected. If the inspector is not available the contractor shall contact the Engineering Department directly at 791-6792.

Upon placement of the base course of surface pavement, the contractor/developer shall schedule our inspection of the underground utilities and structures. This review should include a representative from the Department of Public Works.

Again, weather conditions must be approved by the inspector prior to placing the surface course of pavement. A 24 hour notice is required.

The City Engineer shall review the final paving and provide a written recommendation to the Department of Public Works requesting that they take over the maintenance and responsibility upon an acceptable review of the roadway surface. Minor repairs to underground structures can be performed after the City has approved the roadway and taken over responsibility. The contractor/developer, however will be responsible for road closures and detours as necessary to ensure a safe working environment. Highway permits will be required after the roadway is turned over to the DPW.

Building permits for individual lots can only be issued after the completed roadway has been accepted and after all the on-site grading (such as backyard swales) have been established and accepted.