When does the Planning Commission hold its meetings?
The Planning Commission, a group of nine citizen members – one of which is an elected city commissioner, meets on the first and third Wednesdays of every month. The meetings begin at 7:00pm and are held in the City Commission Chambers located at 4243 Remembrance Road, NW.

When are the application deadlines for consideration of a request by the Planning Commission?
The application deadline for requests to be considered by the Planning Commission is generally five weeks prior to the regularly scheduled meeting. You should contact the Planning Department for specific deadline dates.

What is the zoning of my property?
There are 21 different zoning districts within the city. The City of Walker has an official zoning map that is located at City Hall and also has maps available for sale. It is best to stop by the office to locate your specific parcel of property on the map and personally verify its zoning category with a city official. This eliminates any misunderstanding that sometimes occurs with phone calls. click here for Zoning Map

What is the Master Plan?
The Master Plan, simply stated, is a document that outlines the vision of how the city would like its land uses to develop over the next 10 to 20 years. The plan provides goals and contains guidelines for the city to consider when making land use decisions. The current Master Plan was adopted by the Planning Commission on August 19, 1998.  Click here to view the 1998 Master Plan. Updates to the plan were  made in 2016, 2015, 2011, 2007 and 2006.  A sub area plan is currently being develloped for the Remembrance Road and Wilson Avenue "triange" area. Gateways Plan Page   2016, 2015, 2011, 2006 2007 Master Plan Updates.  

What is the difference between the Master Plan and Zoning Ordinance?
Where the Master Plan is a guide of how the city would like to develop, the Zoning Ordinance is one tool (and most common) used to help implement the Master Plan. The Zoning Ordinance provides the specific rules and regulations that must be followed to develop or redevelop a piece of property. The Zoning Ordinance states what land uses are permitted in what zoning districts and the guidelines that must be followed to develop these uses, such as the required number of parking spaces, the setbacks from property lines and the height of the building. The official zoning map is a part of the Zoning Ordinance. Changes to the Zoning Ordinance or map can only be approved by the City Commission following the appropriate public hearings.

Will I be notified when somebody is proposing to develop property next to mine?
Notification is required only when someone is proposing to rezone property, request a zoning variance, or request a special exception permit. State law and City ordinances require the city to notify property owners within a certain radius of a proposed development and publish a notice in the newspaper. If someone is proposing to develop a subdivision or a site plan that complies with the current zoning requirements, a public hearing and notice may not be required.  However, City policy is to always inform residents within 300 feet of any project scheduled for Planning Commission Review.